Alex is in da House

Thou shalt not lead me into temptation, for I can find the way by myself...

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Friend or foe?

Foreword: The following post is not meant to be some kind of pathetic excuse or justification, by any means at all. It is just my POV, based on things that have happened to me in the last few days.

OK. Where to begin...?
1) Some believe that I got the promotion because I kissed the right ass. Wrong. All I did, was tell my boss that I was interested in the position and feel that I can do the job right. I specifically requested an evaluation (as I was expecting this tidal-wave of "love"), to be able to prove why I should be considered for the job.

2) Contrary to popular belief, the new job did not bring me a shitload of money. The salary is 10% bigger than before, which is still less than some of my fellow colleagues earn. Stop kidding yourself, if money were my primary interest, then I would have been the dumbest person alive to apply for this job. I did it for the upcoming trips abroad, which may not come so soon.

3) It is true that there are some benefits, such as the notebook and the work cell phone, I have received. This job also comes with quite some responsibilities.
(For example: if on the old job, something went wrong, the whole team would have been blamed; on the new job, I take all the blame and am accountable for all the losses the company suffers, because of my decisions).

4) The schedule. If before I had fixed working hours, now I come when I am required and leave when I can (when all my tasks are completed). It's not all milk and honey.
Oh, and not to mention that I have to attend a bunch of weekly meetings, that prove to be tiring.

5) If you are mislead into thinking that the "manager" part of the job name, has anything to do with an actual boss, you are so wrong (see the edit on the previous post). I am not a team leader, no people are under my command and I have little or no influence in the decisions that my (new) boss makes.
So, my dear colleagues... I am doing exactly the same job as before, just that now I am doing it for different people, with bigger attitude problems and higher demands.

I could keep on writing, as the night is young, but I am to tired and my nervous system is telling me to put an end to this madness here. The end.


I really would like to "hear" your take on this. Please leave a comment.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Alina said...

Alex, some things should not be taken personally, especially when they are directed towards how a decision was made, not on who was chosen...Another reason to learn to shut up in the future. I am sorry if I have upset you in any way, trust me some people had a pretty clear idea of how much you will make on this job! They also knew the future schedule and the people you would be dealing with...

It is about a procedure that does not exist, lack of transparency and also something else that I will tell you about in private...

Anyway, this was my last attempt ever to bring something on the table instead of seeing people discuss it around the corners. I actually wanted to tell you all this personally, but I got so angry at you for getting upset and seeing it all directed against you, not the person who was already in a quite defensive attitude.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Sim said...

If I would have known this I wouldn't have left the job. Anyway, Alex, I told you before what the job was about and you wanted it. Ok, deal with it. Alina, don't get into that, really. Things will calm down eventually. I guess for the moment it's more important to do what has to be done, and don't be ungrateful, you know well that it's a promotion, so don't say it is not in front of the person that offered you an opportunity. Anyway, I don't want to attack anyone, I'm out of it.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Alex C. said...

Alina, I now see your point. And yes, you are right. The way the decision has been taken, was not fair to the rest of people that wanted the job.
As Sim said, one would be pissed off, if this would have happended to him.
You are entitled to feel this way.
Yes, Sim, I OWE you big time! 90% of that fact that I am here today is because of you. The other 10%, belong to the decision taker...

I say, bury the hatchet and be friends again, as I assume we were before!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Alina said...

Happy things are clear now! Take care and stop caring about assholes! Really...

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home